I stayed there for 2 days in Nov end, as part of a big group. Here is what I saw and felt –
What’s Good –
1) 60-80 mins off Chennai, well connected, good drive. Located right next to the beach, less locals at the beach, walking distance from the shore temple etc gives this property a damn good thumbs up on location.
2) Its big: 2 swimming pools, one huge and another infinity pool, lot of rooms, a spa, lot of open lawns. Has something or the other for the whole family.
3) Very very helpful staff. We needed to change a venue at the last minute for one of our programs. The event coordinators were not so keen, but the hotel staff went out of their way to accommodate our request.
4) Good food. Lavish breakfast with a great spread. Good Indian (including North Indian) dishes. You would probably eat all your meals in the Hotel if staying in Mahabalipuram. So, you can check this item off your worry list.
What’s not so good –
1) You can make out that the property is a little old and the upkeep (or a little lack of it) shows. Water scaling marks, cigarette stubs around, fading outdoors, older bathrooms and restrooms etc. The rooms though spacious carry old generation beds. I have seen better Radisson Blue Hotels for sure.
2) Not many entertainment options or recreational activities for the evenings. If you are holed up at the resort on evenings, then there isn’t much to do after you have done your heartful of sea gazing. There is a bit of billiards / pool, but I didn’t see a sort of clubhouse you would expect from a big resort.
Overall: At the tariff they might charge for individual consumers, Temple Bay wouldn’t be bad bet for a quick weekend and definitely the best choice if looking at Mahabalipuram. Would I go back after having been there once? Don’t know.
Room Tip: Look for first floor rooms facing the bigger swimming pool. They are nearer to the restaurant